Arity in Persistent BB

sachini weerawardhana
 agents:
c beliefBaseClass jason.bb.JDBCPersistentBB(
"org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver", // driver for HSQLDB
"jdbc:hsqldb:bookstore", // URL connection
"sa", // user
"", // password
"[a(1,tablea,columns(runs(integer))),
book(5),
book_author(2),
author(2,author,columns(id(integer),name(varchar(30)))),
publisher(2)]");

Hi All,
I am trying to use a mysql db for an agent's belief base and came across this example in the API. I am in need of a clarification.
#1 What is meant by arity here? it is not just a random number is it?

#2 if defined like publisher(2) what does it convey about the table publisher?

Many thanks
Sachini