Quantcast

Eclipse plugin abandoned?

Kevin McAreavey
Hi,

I just wanted to check if the Eclipse plugin has been abandoned?  I
couldn't find any mention of this in the mailing list archives.

The plugin recommended for Eclipse Indigo seems to be malformed, i.e.
http://jason.sourceforge.net/eclipseplugin/site.xml points to
features/jasonide_feature_1.0.11.201504031048.jar but there only exists
features/jasonide_feature_1.0.6.201204171351.jar.

I've also tried http://jason.sourceforge.net/eclipseplugin/juno/ with
Eclipse Juno but it reports Xtext as a missing dependency.  If I add the
latest Xtext repository via
http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/xtext/updates/composite/releases/
then the plugin appears to install successfully.  However, none of the
plugin features (e.g. creating a Jason project) are available after I
restart Eclipse.

I'm running Windows 7 and have tried this with both 32 and 64-bit
versions of Java/Eclipse.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Eclipse plugin abandoned?

Maicon-2
Hi Kevin,

Please, check your distribution of Eclipse. Eclipse provides several distributions for the same version. The only supported distributions of Eclipse are the "Committers" and "Java EE". The others doesn't have the requirements to automatically install the dependences of the plugin.

For example, here you can get the supported versions of Luna:
JEE: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-ee-developers/lunasr2
Committers: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-eclipse-committers-442/lunasr2

And, if you prefer, you can use also Mars Eclipse:
Committers: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-eclipse-committers-450/marsr
JEE: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-ee-developers/marsr

When you install the plugin, please make sure if you are opening the Eclipse with a clean (new) workspace.

Let me know if it worked fine.

Regards,
Maicon

Hi Kevin,

Apologies for the delay, this is vacation period here in Brazil...

No, it has not been abandoned at all. Did you follow the instructions here:

http://jason.sourceforge.net/mini-tutorial/eclipse-plugin/

If you have followed all those instructions and you believe there is an issue with the plugin, please contact Micon Zatelli ([hidden email] CCed in this message) who's the author of the Eclipse plugin. I don't know whether he's currently on holidays or not.

On 24/01/2017 11:31, Kevin McAreavey wrote:
[...]

Hi Rafael and Maicon,

Thanks for the quick replies---I appreciate the help.

Maicon, the Eclipse distribution may have been where I went wrong so I'll try that and get back to you.

Best regards,
Kevin

On 25/01/2017 10:35, Maicon wrote:
[...]

Hi Maicon,

I did some testing and just wanted to confirm that the plugin http://jason.sourceforge.net/eclipseplugin/juno/ does work with the Java EE versions of Eclipse (x64) Mars and Neon.  Thanks a lot for the help!

It might before with mentioning that I also tried the Java EE version of Eclipse Juno.  In this case, Eclipse complained about an unmet Xtext dependency when attempting to install the plugin
(as mentioned in my previous email).  I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.

On the hand, I'm pretty sure that alternative plugin
http://jason.sourceforge.net/eclipseplugin/ is broken (as described in my previous email).  This is the version that is recommended for Eclipse Indigo, although granted this version of Eclipse is very old now... http://jason.sourceforge.net/mini-tutorial/eclipse-plugin/

Best regards,
Kevin