Quantcast

Integrating Jason With Robocode

Lucas Del Castanhel Dias
Dear Jason users and developpers

I've been recently trying to integrate a Jason project with the widespread robocode simulation tool (Available at http://robocode.sourceforge.net/).

However, I've been experiencing a lot of trouble, specially because this simulator has some restrictions with any kind of network communication between a Jason project and the
simulator.

 I've tried to send information from a Jason project to a specific group of robots using TCP or Java RMI, but both of the methods were unsuccessful.
We have also contacted the robocode staff to find a solution for this issue but unfortunately it seems the simulator's architecture is inadequate for such kind of approach.

Therefore, we have decided to focus on Jason. I would like to know if ,given a raw java class (A Foo.java), is it possible to invoke the jason environment inside this class
without the necessity of  creating a specific Jason project., i.e. Invoke the jason environment in an average java project.

Considering this idea is feasible, what should be done in order to make it?

I'm using the Eclipse Helios IDE and the latest version of Jason.

Ps: If there's anyone who already had ever stumbled with the same problem and got it solved from another approach and would like to share I would be thankful.

Yours sincerely,

Lucas

Re: Integrating Jason With Robocode

Jomi Hubner
Hi Lucas,

I think a first approach is to use only the jason reasoner for a single agent. Take a look at the example in the folder demos/using-only-jason-BDI-engine.

On 04/11/2011, at 00:29, Lucas Del Castanhel Dias wrote:

[...]

It isn't clear if you want to start up a whole Jason system from within a Java class, which is possible. Based on other experiences, I think you are talking about running Jason agents (programmed in Jason's variant of AgentSpeak) from within a Java system. It seems robocode doesn't have a server architecture and requires the code of each agent to be added to its own sourcecode before you compile. If that's the case, what you need to do is explained in Section 4.7 of the FAQ:
http://jason.sourceforge.net/faq
Unfortunately, that means you don't get an agent environment nor inter-agent communication already implemented for free. You'd have to implement those either from scratch or using relevant features of robocode. Let us know if that section of the FAQ is not what you are looking for.