Jason Profiler?

Vin Baines
Hi,

Hitting a problem in my simulation where things are starting to run
slowly. At the moment the Jason controlled vehicles are represented in
a 3D simulation - so it could be the graphics/physics sim thats
slowing things down.

But, I have alot of iteration in my Jason agents. I'm going to start
reviewing what I've written anyway, but I wondered if anyone has every
put together a profiler for Jason agents? Would be handy to know where
the problem lies. I guess I can just manually put some counters in
keys areas and report back the count, but someone may have come up
with something more advanced?

Thanks,

Vincent

Re: Jason Profiler?

Jomi Hubner
Dear Vin,

As far as I know, there isn't so much on profiling tools specific for agents. (I guess it is an open issue yet). Regarding the performance of AOP languages, Francisco Grimaldo has published some papers on the subject (using Jason). I guess also Koen Hindriks and Tristan Behrens have done some work on that also.

It follows some alternatives I have used to workaround with this problem.

1. use normal java profiling tools. In eclipse, for instance, run the class RunCentralisedMAS (with your project as parameter) under profiling.

2. use custom classes (agent, arch, belief base, ...) to count number of messages, perception, etc. You find attached an example.

On 24/12/2011, at 13:54, Vin Baines wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hitting a problem in my simulation where things are starting to run
> slowly. At the moment the Jason controlled vehicles are represented in
> a 3D simulation - so it could be the graphics/physics sim thats
> slowing things down.
>
> But, I have alot of iteration in my Jason agents. I'm going to start
> reviewing what I've written anyway, but I wondered if anyone has every
> put together a profiler for Jason agents? Would be handy to know where
> the problem lies. I guess I can just manually put some counters in
> keys areas and report back the count, but someone may have come up
> with something more advanced?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vincent

demoStat.zip (2K) Download Attachment