Modifying / extending TransitionSystem

Alan Gordon White
I'm trying to add a new 'maintenance' stage into the BDI logic, as
part of research I'm doing; the concept is that this stage serves to
check whether the agents intentions - and associated actions - are
likely to succeed (the idea is that a combination of probabilistic
reasoning and sandbox simulation is used to predict confidence of
future actions in the current intention succeeding).

I've been looking at the TransitionSystem code, which would seem the
logical area.  However, the most obvious approach to this - extending
the applySemanticRule method to perform some 'check existing
intentions' type action before plan selection - is barred as both it
and key variables are private.  I can just copy the whole class and
then modify it, but that strikes me as very sloppy practice.

Can anyone suggest an alternate approach?

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Modifying / extending TransitionSystem

Jomi Hubner
Hi Alan,

(sorry for the late reply, I was in vacations)

You are right, the TS is the main logic part of the interpreter, the operational semantics is implemented there.
Although the fields are private, all the information is available by get methods. Specially the getC(ircumstance), where the intentions/actions are stored.