space allocation for an agent

Olga Tsvetkova
Dear Jason developers,

I am still new to Jason, have read the book and the manual/tutorial
pdf. And I was wondering about the following:

What number of agents can be expected to run efficiently within a single
instance of the platform? And a related issue: I create 100 "hello
world" agents (they dont do anything else apart from printing hello
... )  dynamically with .create_agent(name, source) and the
application uses ~500 Mb. I was wondering how to exactly to customize
the agent to reduce the 0.5Mb per agent.

Thanks a lot.
Looking forward to your help.

Best regards,
Olga Tsvetkova

Re: space allocation for an agent

Jomi Hubner
Dear Olga,

interesting question!

We have run 500 simple agents and 3000 very simple agents without problem in an ordinary machine (simple here is quite vague). But it really depends on the complexity of the agents... so, in general, it depends on the application.

regarding the memory, it is managed by the Java Virtual Machine (which usually allocates more memory than necessary to avoid garbage collection). You can setup it all in the build.xml file used to run the application.

You may also take a look in papers published by Francisco Grimaldo about the configuration of JVM for (simulation with) Jason.

On 14/03/2014, at 11:51, Olga Tsvetkova <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Jason developers,
>
> I am still new to Jason, have read the book and the manual/tutorial
> pdf. And I was wondering about the following:
>
> What number of agents can be expected to run efficiently within a single
> instance of the platform? And a related issue: I create 100 "hello
> world" agents (they dont do anything else apart from printing hello
> ... )  dynamically with .create_agent(name, source) and the
> application uses ~500 Mb. I was wondering how to exactly to customize
> the agent to reduce the 0.5Mb per agent.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Looking forward to your help.
>
> Best regards,
> Olga Tsvetkova

Re: space allocation for an agent

Francisco Grimaldo Moreno

Thanks for your reference Jomi.

Olga, you can find some answers in these papers:

Characterization of the Jason Multiagent Platform on Multicore Processors. Pascual Pérez-Carro, Francisco Grimaldo, Miguel Lozano,Juan M. Orduña. Scientific Programming.

Tuning Java to run interactive multiagent simulations over Jason. Víctor Fernández-Bauset, Francisco Grimaldo, Miguel Lozano, Juan M. Orduña. The 23rd Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI 2010). Adelaide (Australia), December 2010.

Evaluating Jason for distributed crowd simulations. Víctor Fernández-Bauset, Francisco Grimaldo, Miguel Lozano, Juan M. Orduña. 2nd International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (ICAART 2010). Valencia (Spain), January 2010

You can find them here: http://www.uv.es/grimo/publications.html

More concretely, to reduce the 0.5MB per agent you can use a pool of threads and also reduce the amount of memory allocated per thread. These parameters can be configured using the JVM launcher options (in the build.xml file or just using command line options), where you can also setup the memory heap size, the ratio for the young/old generation and the garbage collector.

Best,

Francisco

El Divendres, 14 de març de 2014, a les 13:31:01, Jomi Hubner va escriure:

> Dear Olga,

> interesting question!

> We have run 500 simple agents and 3000 very simple agents without problem in

> an ordinary machine (simple here is quite vague). But it really depends on

> the complexity of the agents... so, in general, it depends on the

> application.

> regarding the memory, it is managed by the Java Virtual Machine (which

> usually allocates more memory than necessary to avoid garbage collection).

> You can setup it all in the build.xml file used to run the application.

> You may also take a look in papers published by Francisco Grimaldo about the

> configuration of JVM for (simulation with) Jason.

> HTH,

> Jomi

> On 14/03/2014, at 11:51, Olga Tsvetkova <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Dear Jason developers,

> > I am still new to Jason, have read the book and the manual/tutorial

> > pdf. And I was wondering about the following:

> > What number of agents can be expected to run efficiently within a single

> > instance of the platform? And a related issue: I create 100 "hello

> > world" agents (they dont do anything else apart from printing hello

> > ... ) dynamically with .create_agent(name, source) and the

> > application uses ~500 Mb. I was wondering how to exactly to customize

> > the agent to reduce the 0.5Mb per agent.

> > Thanks a lot.

> > Looking forward to your help.

> > Best regards,

> > Olga Tsvetkova

> > ---- Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book

> > "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their

> > applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,

> > this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!

> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

Dr. Francisco Grimaldo Moreno

Departament d'Informàtica

Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeria (ETSE)

Universitat de València

Avinguda de la Universitat, s/n

46100 Burjassot-València (SPAIN)

Tel: +34 96 354 44 87 (+34 96 354 45 65)

Fax: +34 96 354 47 68

Email: [hidden email]

Web: http://www.uv.es/grimo

Re: space allocation for an agent

Olga Tsvetkova
Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer!

Best,
Olga